Thursday, December 03, 2009

Meet Sapphire Phalen

Today my guest is author Sapphire Phelan. I hope you'll enjoy her very fun interview... and this very cool book!! Welcome, Sapphire...


1) -Please tell us about your latest book.
Being Familiar With a Witch is an erotic urban fantasy about a mortal woman who finds she has the ability to become a Witch, but only if she allows a demon Familiar coded to her DNA to make love with her to let loose her witchy powers. If she doesn’t, well, she might die along with Earth and Heaven, as a demonic army is about to unleash Armageddon.

2) -What can we expect from you in the future?
My next story, Ain’t Nothin’ Like Succubus Lovin’ is a humorous erotic paranormal romance to come out from Phaze Books Spring 2010. This one is a short story. I am working also on the sequel to Being Familiar With a Witch and the erotic male/male sequel to Beast Magic (this has wereleopards). Plus I did an erotic werewolf paranormal novel for Nanowritmo, that only has some more to be added to be done.

3) -How would you describe the genre in which you do most of your writing?
I do mostly paranormal romance and urban fantasy. Though I have done a historical romance story once set in medieval times and may do some sometime in the future. I have done historical fantasy romances before, too.

4) What motivated you to start writing in these genres?
Because I love reading them!

5) -What kind of research do you do?
Sometimes I look up the mythology of my beings, plus if in another era, there’s trying to be accurate with names and how they lived. And if I need to use a drug or something I know nothing about, then look it up, or call my doctor, etc…

6) -Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow?
I like to write most times during the week, during the day. But I have written at night and on weekends when I have a deadline looming or need to get something done right then.

7) -Where do your ideas come from?
From my head. I might see something on TV or when out driving or walking, but most of the ideas come from my head.

8) -Who, if anyone, has influenced your writing?
Shirley Jackson, Ray Bradbury, Nora Roberts, Victoria Holt, Madeleine L’Engle, Anne McCaffrey, both Bronte sisters, Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, JRR Tolkien, Jim Butcher, J K Rawlings, and many others, old and new.

9) -How long have you been writing - have you always wanted to be a writer?
Since I was eight-years old. I’ve always written stories and poems. *chuckle* My first novel was Howling in the Night, a gothic romance. I was in 7th grade. I wrote it long hand.

10) -What is the most rewarding thing about being a writer?
Hearing from a reader that they enjoyed it. You can win awards and get super reviews from pro reviewers, but it’s the readers who have me continue to write. Thank you to my readers.

11) Among your own books, have you a favorite book?
Favorite hero or heroine? It’s hard to pick a book. It’s like asking a mother to pick a favorite child among her children. I admit I love Tina and Charun from Being Familiar With a Witch.

12) -Please tell us about yourself (family, hobbies, education, etc.)
I sew or make costumes and wear them at sci-fi conventions, do crafts, like to bake, read (of course!), exercise, watch movies at the theater or on DVDs, be with my husband, travel to interesting places and collect anything on dragons, Yoda from Star Wars, cats and wolves. On education: I’ve been to college twice—in El Cajon, California and few years ago in Petersburg, Virginia.

13) -Are there any words of encouragement for unpublished writers?
Keep writing, writing and writing. And join a writer’s critique group. And read. I see writers say they don’t read much and yet, they’re writing books for people to read.

14) Tell us your website, MySpace, Blog, any urls so the readers can find out more about you.

Go beyond the usual, instead take the unusual that stretches the boundaries and find romance with Sapphire Phelan's aliens, werewolves, vampires, fairies, and other supernatural/otherworldly heroes and heroines.

Finalist for EPIC AWARDS 2010:

From Phaze Books: the erotic urban fantasy, Being Familiar With a Witch:

Tina doesn't know she's a witch. It will take Charun, her demon Familiar, to convince her to make love with him and let loose her witch powers.

For if she doesn't, then with the demon army about to bring Armageddon to the Mortal Realm on Halloween, she won't stand a chance in Hell.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Being Familiar With a Witch. It has a great story behind it and the humor is just perfect. I am excited about the new one.

    I see you have a lot of great stuff in the works please keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your "humor" approach to writing about the paranormal - looking forward to your future works. Good Luck


    Missy Martine
    missymartine@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.