Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Welcome author/artist Dawné Dominique #RomFantasy


Has writing been something you always did, or was it a discovered talent that came to you at a later point?
When I was a child, I used to write poems and stories, and then drew pictures to match. When I got older, I must have a started over twenty novels in my lifetime, but never seemed to finish them. In the late 1990's, early 2000, when the stress of my job was getting too much, I joined a writing site. It took a year, but I finally finished an epic fantasy novel. My first complete novel. From there I was hooked. 

Do you remember how it felt when you were offered that first contract? What emotions stand out in your memory? 
Oh yes, I remember. Elated. Frightened. Unworthy. Shocked. *chuckles* It was a plethora of emotions. I was asked to write for an erotic western anthology. I didn't know a damn thing about cowboys, let alone erotica. But it was a challenge...and I thrive on challenges. That's what makes life exciting. 

Is this a first book, part of a series, or the latest in a long line of many? 
Eden's Hell is the first book to a five novel series called The First series. Crimson Cries is the fourth novel and my latest release. 

What is the oddest thing that’s happened to you since you chose to become a professional writer? Will it ever make it into a book, or is that a secret? 
Well, to me it's odd, but my friends tend to look differently at me, especially after reading my novels. The majority of them have said they had trouble getting through the erotic sections because they kept picturing me in those scenes. Heaven help me! 

Do you have your next book underway, or are there other titles in the planning stages? 
Surrender: Sins of the Father is the final novel to The First series. I'm halfway through the writing process now and hope to have it finished before the end of 2014. I'll be sad to end it. As I've been writing the series since early 2000, all the characters have become close friends to me. Fourteen years is a long time. 

I will be releasing a fantasy novel called The Tears of San'Ferath in a couple of months. It was a novel I wrote many years ago. 

Do you have a favourite genre and why? Is it one you write in, read in, or both? 
I started out as primarily a fantasy novelist. Then I evolved into erotica and paranormal. Fantasy and paranormal are very similar because both genres use magic. I love world building and unique character developments. By far, paranormal is my favorite genre to write—and read. 

What, to you, is the most exciting part of the writing process? Does it change from book to book or remain the same? 
That would be writing the ending of a novel. It's the most stressful, nerve-wracking, sad, and joyful process for me. 

If you could co-author a book with anyone, who would you choose and why? What kind of book do you think would come from the collaboration? 
Hands down...Anne Rice. I fell in love with her writing in the early 1980's. Of course, it would be a paranormal, perhaps with a few ghosts thrown in for good measure. Maybe you put in a good word for me with her? *chuckles* 

Where can readers find you on the web?
You can find me at: www.dawnedominique.com
Or my cover artist website at www.dusktildawndesigns.com
I'm also on Facebook at www.facebook.com/dawne.dominique

1. Tell us a little about yourself. 

Thank you so much for having me here today, Tricia. Hi, everyone. My name is Dawné Dominique, and I'm an author of erotic paranormal romance and fantasy. I'm also a cover artist and a paralegal is my "other" life. 

2. When did you begin writing? 

Although I wrote tons of stories when I was a child, it wasn't until the late 1990's and early 2000 that I began seriously writing. At that time my job had gotten so stressful that I needed to find an outlet to keep me sane when I came home at night. So I joined a writing site in an effort to get lost in my writing and alleviate the stress. I was hooked. I'd written stories and poems from as far back as I can remember, but I never had the gumption or drive to finish a novel. My writing site gave me the structure and encouragement I needed to finally finish something. It turned out to be an epic fantasy novel at approximately 200k, which I titled Dark Prisoner. Because of its size, I cut the novel into two. The second half is called The Ebbing of Tides. One day I'm going to dust that baby off and get it ready for the world, but it being my first novel attempt, the work (edits) I know that's involved is what's been keeping it on the shelf. : ) 

3. Describe your writing process. Do you plot or write by the seat of your pants? When and where do you write? 

Funny you should ask. I write by the seat of my pants. Every night when I go to bed, the novel I'm currently working on will run through my head like a movie. Unfortunately, I don't sleep a lot. But I attended a writing seminar recently wherein the guest author suggested something that I'm going to try. I have a "ghost" novel that's been brewing in my brain for a couple of years now. It's based on actual events that have happened here in Winnipeg. Of course, I was in the shower when the idea first struck me. For that novel, I'm going to try index cards. Each card will represent a chapter. On those cards will be key points/events that will need to be included in each chapter. 

4. Can you tell us about your most recent release? 

Crimson Cries is the fourth novel in my vampire series called The First. It blends biblical facts and fiction to give readers a very logical explanation as to where and how the first vampires and wolves came to be. Eden's Hell, the novel which begins the series, was nominated for an EPIC because of its uniqueness from all the other vampire novels out there. This series is definitely not your ordinary vamp series. : ) 

5. How did you get the idea for the book? 

It was quite by accident, actually. I entered a contest on my writing forum. The prompt was to write a chapter length story about a "unique" vampire,which I did. I won the contest, but every critique I received said "it's too short". Thus, the series began. 

6. Of all your characters, which one is your favorite? Why? 

That would be Daniella Rolfe, who is one of the main characters in the series. She's strong, powerful and beautiful...everything I wish I was. 

7. What was the most challenging aspect of writing your books? 

The research. Every novel in the series had to have extensive research done, whether it was the biblical aspects or merely a road in Scotland. I want believe-ability in everything I write, even though it's fiction. 

8. Which authors have inspired your writing? 

Oh, there's many, but the one most recent was Anne Rice. When I first discovered her in the early 1980's, I hadn't given any thought about vampires being like real people with emotions and conflicts. She introduced me to a world I never wanted to leave. 

9. What projects are you currently working on? 

I'm writing the final chapter of a fantasy novel I wrote many years ago called The Tears of San'Ferath. It's about a land called Allanoria, with Druids (who are good) and Druid Evoluntines (who are evil). When the mage'ic of the lands begins to fade because of the evil taint left by the Druid Evoluntines, all the mage'ical creatures begin dying. When there's only one dragon left, San'Ferath, the last Druid invokes a spell called The Undying Sleep to hopefully preserve some mage'ic for when Allanoria is ready to take it back. Then the Blue Fever sweeps through Allanoria and begins wiping out the humans. The prophesy of "The Cleansing" has begun. Some five hundred years later, a freelance mercenary and dancer hold the key to restoring Allanoria's mage'ic, but it's an evil Druid Evoluntine who wakes San'Ferath. 

10. What advice would you offer to new or aspiring authors? 

Grow thicker skin. We're in a business that scrutinizes our every word (literally). Some people aren't going to like what you write. So sad, too bad. But always try to remember that it's only one person's perception. 

I also have a book trailer for the series, which was created by the very talented Erin Kelly:

 

Excerpt from Eden's Hell, I: The First: 

“Do you know the story of Adam and Eve?” 

“Who doesn’t? The Garden of Eden. Eve tempting Adam with the apple. The snake. Their fall from grace.” Again, her shoulders rolled in indifference. 

“And Adam’s first wife?” 

Surprise flitted over her face as she looked up at him. “He had another wife?” 

The blood in his body flowed faster as he explained. “God created man, and woman, in his own image, but when Adam came to be there was no Eve, not yet. God placed Adam on Earth to carry out one task: to give names to every living creature he’d created. He was twenty-one by the time he finished, a young man, gratified and lost in the glory of doing God’s work, but there had to be more to his purpose.” 

“Are you some kind of ancient priest?” 

He shook his head and continued. “Adam had watched the animals he’d named, observing the way they mated, loved, and protected each other. He felt jealous and coveted the same for himself. He cried out his loneliness to God, praying night after night until—” 

“Eve.” 

“No. Lillith.” 

“I don’t understand.” 

Addison leaned forward in his chair, placed his hands together and steepled his fingers. “God created the first woman in the identical fashion as he had with Adam. She was equal in every way, but Lillith was willful and perhaps a little stronger, for God made woman able to endure great pain for procreation.” He paused, gauging her reaction. Like an apt student, she hung on to his every word. “Overjoyed that God had answered his prayers, Adam fell in love with her at first sight, but when he attempted to consummate their union, she refused to submit.” He sneered. “Lillith told Adam she would do what she wanted with whomever she wanted and not because man demanded it.” 

“So, women’s lib has been around longer than I’d figured.” A nervous smile stretched her lips. “What happened to her? Lillith, I mean. And how does Eve fit in all this?” 

He continued cautiously. “God demanded Lillith to do what he created her to do. She refused and left the Garden of Eden, venturing to the Blood Seas and bedding the devil himself to show God her animosity. She spited him, his rules, and Adam.” He swallowed hard before carrying on. “Adam was devastated, of course. Stricken with grief, he sought to end his life, so God created another mate to appease his heartbroken son. He took from Adam a piece of his rib and created Eve.” 

“And the rest is history, so to speak?” 

He rose unsteadily to his feet. Unable to meet her gaze, he stared out at the ocean’s panoramic view. “Yes, the rest is history,” he lied. 

“What happened to Adam and Eve after the apple incident?” 

“Both were banished, and the Garden of Eden returned to God’s kingdom. By the way, it wasn’t an apple. It was a fig.” 

“How do you know all this?” 

He spared a glance over his shoulder. “I’ve been around for a long time, Eva.” Suppressing a sigh, he pushed the memories down, shoving them back into the hidden recesses of his mind, back where he’d always kept them. “You must be hungry. Shall we take some dinner?” 

Dorothy Thompson
Owner & Founding Mother at PUMP UP YOUR BOOK
Bloggers! Sign up to host your favorite authors HERE!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.