Tuesday, March 20, 2012

GUEST: Jessica Chambers

Jessica, how long have you been writing?

Hard to say exactly when I started putting my ideas down on paper, but I’ve been inventing stories for as long as I can remember. I wrote on and off all throughout my childhood, short stories mainly, and the openings of novels I didn’t have the discipline at that age to pursue beyond the first few chapters. Then, after leaving school, I wrote my first full length novel, fell prey to the writing bug and never looked back!

And how long have you been a published author?

Ooh, around eighteen months now. You know, I still wake up some mornings unable to believe my lifelong dream has come true, and of course, I’m learning new things about myself and my writing all the time.

What titles do you have available?

I currently have two published novels, both of which can be purchased from Amazon either in paperback or on Kindle. Voices on the Waves, my debut, is a sweet women’s fiction novel that follows the developing relationships between a group of diverse strangers who win a two-week stay in a beautiful old farmhouse in Cornwall. With my second novel, Dark is the Sky, I’ve branched out a bit, combining family drama with a darker element of mystery.

Can you tell us what your latest release, Dark is the Sky, is about?

Twelve years after tragedy tore their family apart, the Camerons are reuniting for the first time since that fateful day. They hope that they will at last be able to put the past behind them and lay their ghosts to rest, but of course, nothing is ever that simple! Some wounds run too deep to heal, and some secrets are too destructive to remain hidden. As the web of hostility and deceit begins to unravel, and the truth about what really happened on that long ago summer’s afternoon finally emerges, family ties are tested to the limit.

Available in paperback

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Sky-Jessica-Chambers/dp/0984721509/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323000484&sr=1-1

or on Kindle

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-is-the-Sky-ebook/dp/B006EQV9N6/

What made you choose the subject of this book?

Like many of my ideas, this novel began with a single character, this time with a vivid picture of a handsome, dark-haired young man. Immediately, I knew several things about him. I knew he was dangerously sexy, a magnet for women and more than a bit of a rogue. I also knew he was dead. This raised a number of questions. How did he die? Was it suicide, or murder, or merely a tragic accident? What part did his family play in his death? And as I unraveled the answers to these questions, the story gradually emerged.

Do you have any new titles coming soon?

I’m currently straying into the unknown and attempting my first young adult novel. Think the grittiness of Melvin Burgess meets the powerful relationships characterized by Cassandra Clare. With dark secrets, a complex love triangle and a kidnapper on the loose, it’s proving enormous fun!

What is your favourite genre and why?

Hmmm. Guess it depends whether you mean in terms of reading or writing. I’m a total book addict, and enjoy everything from sci-fi to crime, paranormal to historical. When it comes to my writing though, whether women’s fiction or young adult, I love stories where the characters and their relationships are central to the plot. Oh, and my creativity is rooted firmly in the real world. No magic or supernatural creatures … at least, not yet!

What, to you, is the most exciting part of the writing process?

The thrill of discovery that comes with a new idea for a novel, then watching it grow into a detailed outline. Nothing can compare to that buzz, except perhaps the immense satisfaction of putting the finishing touches to that final draft.

If you could co-author a book with anyone, who would you choose and why?

Okay, confession time. I’m a total control freak when it comes to my writing. Don’t get me wrong. I’m forever bouncing ideas off my friends and family, and their input has been invaluable, but ultimately my word in law! Only I can determine the fate of my characters, or decide down which path to take the plot. So, although it would be an honor to co-write a book with one of my favorite authors, Cassandra Clare, perhaps, or Jilly Cooper, I have a nasty feeling it would end in disaster!

Where can readers find you on the web?

There’s nothing I love more than chatting about books with fellow enthusiasts, so feel free to connect with me on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jessica-Chambers/177537202257347?ref=sgm

Twitter

http://www.twitter.com/authorjchambers

And Goodreads

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4403097.Jessica_Chambers

You can also find out more about me and my books, including excerpts and news on upcoming releases, by visiting my website:

http://www.jessicachambers.co.uk/

BIO:

Jessica Chambers has been inventing stories even before she was old enough to hold a pen. She has a passion for writing contemporary novels packed with emotion, complex relationships and often a touch of mystery.

Visually impaired from birth, Jessica currently lives with her family and Staffordshire bull terrier in the English town of Windsor. In addition to devouring fiction of all genres, she loves watching TV quiz shows and admits to being extremely competitive when it comes to a game of Trivial Pursuit.

Her latest book is Dark is the Sky.

You can visit her website at www.jessicachambers.co.uk.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon | Amazon Kindle Store | Barnes & Noble | Official Tour Page

About Dark is the Sky

Twelve years earlier, Olivia and Joel Cameron invited the family to spend the weekend at their new country home. Olivia hoped to provide them all with a much-needed escape from their anxiety over the recession crippling the nation; instead, the visit ended in tragedy when Scott, Joel’s wild and outrageously sexy youngest brother, was found dead. The repercussions tore the family apart.

Now, Olivia’s sister Violet has persuaded her to host a reunion. She claims it’s time they finally put the past behind them and laid their ghosts to rest. However, some wounds run too deep to heal, and some secrets are too destructive to remain hidden. Still grieving for the man she loved, Violet is determined to uncover the truth behind his death—a truth she believes lies within her own family.

As the web of deceit and hostility begins to unravel, family ties are tested to the limit, and no one will emerge unscathed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.